Official Government Website

Become a CTE Educator

CTE Teacher and Student

If preparing Idaho’s youth and adults for high-skill, in-demand careers calls to you, my team at the Idaho Division of Career Technical Education (IDCTE) stands ready to help you on the path to becoming an educator. 

Whether you are in high school, college, or considering a career change, there is a pathway to becoming an Idaho educator that is right for you. Please explore the Routes to becoming a CTE teacher and other resources on this page to find your path. 

Once you earn your educator certificate, I invite you to stay right here in Idaho. You will find a caring, supportive education environment focused on student learning and improving instruction. As an Idaho native, I can say firsthand that Idaho is a beautiful place to live and be an educator! 

Let us know how we can assist you in inspiring others and facilitating the future by becoming an educator. 


Clay Long, Ph.D. 
State Administrator 

Idaho is seeking career technical educators

Career technical educators instruct students in various technical and career-related subjects, such as information technology, healthcare, business, culinary arts, diesel technology, and more. We are currently experiencing a high demand for CTE teachers. Do you think teaching CTE might be right for you? 

CTE certification

CTE certificates are required in public schools, authorizing the holder to teach a specific subject. Emphasis is on occupational experience by teachers who can then help prepare students for a trade or technical profession. 

College Student to CTE Teacher (Secondary)

Degree Based Career Technical Certificate

  • Baccalaureate degree
  • University recommendation for certificate/endorsement including:
    • 1,000 clock hours related work experience
    • Positive student teaching experience
    • Passing of content area PRAXIS II
  • Cleared background check and signed legal history questionnaire
  • Certificate valid for five years; renewable

The following Idaho universities and colleges have approved CTE educator preparation programs: 

Secondary Degree Based Application

Industry Professional to CTE Teacher (Secondary and Postsecondary)

Limited Occupational Specialist (LOS) 

  • Possess a minimum of a high school diploma or GED. 
  • Submit to a criminal history check as described in section 33-130, Idaho Code (secondary level only). 
  • Meet at least one of the following criteria: 
  • Hold or have held an approved industry certification in a field closely related to the content area in which the individual seeks to teach as defined by the division of career technical education. 
  • Demonstrate a minimum of 6,000 industry hours—50% of which occurred in the past five years—of professional experience in a field closely related to the content area you want to teach; or 
  • Hold a baccalaureate degree in a field closely related to the content area in which the individual seeks to teach and demonstrate 2,000 hours—50% of which occurred in the past five years—of professional experience in a field closely related to the content area you want to teach. 
  • Meet, when applicable, requirements of occupationally related state agencies. 
  • The non-renewable certificate is valid for three years. 
  • You may teach while completing requirements to achieve your Standard Occupational Specialist Certificate. 
  • You must complete an educator training program or courses approved by IDCTE as documented on a Professional Development Form (PDP). 
  • Complete the summer Pre-service Academy. 

Secondary Occupational Specialist Application

Postsecondary Occupational Specialist Application

Current Teacher to CTE Teacher

CTE Alternative AuthorizationTeacher to New Certificate – Secondary ONLY district submission 

  • Hold a current and valid renewable Idaho educator certificate. 
  • Identify the desired route to certification: 
  • Option I: University recommendation for certificate/endorsement. 
  • Option II: Master’s degree in the endorsement area. 
  • Option III: Mentor and successful Praxis® score.
  • The certificate is valid for one year at a time and renewable up to two times. 

CTE Alternative Authorization – Teacher to New Application

Option III-IV District-Mentor Recommendation

Other Routes to CTE Teacher

CTE Alternative Authorization Content Specialist Certificate Secondary – Secondary ONLY district submission 

  • Employed by a school district. 
  • Hold a minimum of a baccalaureate degree in any major. 
  • Demonstrate content knowledge through one of the following: 
  • Baccalaureate degree in the subject area to be taught.
  • Passing score in related of content area PRAXIS II.  
  • Complete state-approved combination of the following: 
  • Complete a university program to earn certification recommendation. 
  • Earn additional industry hours. 
  • Attain an agreed-upon industry certification.
  • Other provisions as individually defined 
  • The certificate is valid for one year at a time and renewable up to two times.  

CTE Alternative Authorization – Content Specialist Application  

Individual filling a CTE educator position for one year—Emergency Provisional Certificate  
Secondary ONLY district submission 

  • Awarded only with formal approval by the State Board of Education. 
  • Must: 
  • Hold an associates degree or demonstrate 48 semester college credits on an official transcript. 
  • Provide evidence of a declaration of emergency by the school district. 
  • The certificate is valid for one year. 

Emergency Provisional Application  

Career and technical educators train as teachers in a formal college preparatory program. Others come from industry. For many career & technical educators teaching is a second or third career after they acquire valuable experience in their industry.


Application for Public Charter School Specific Teacher Certificate

Degree-Based Career Technical Education Application

Educator Portal

InSpIRE Ready! Professional Development Plan (postsecondary only)

Secondary Occupational Specialist Application

Postsecondary Occupational Specialist Application

Please note:
As credentialed educator, you are solely responsible for maintaining a current valid Idaho certification. You must continually meet the current State of Board Education rule and Idaho statutory requirements. You must also notify our certification office of any changes in your contact information, or contact us via the information below.

Need More Information?


Kristi Enger

Nathan Hobbs

Nathan Hobbs
Technical Records Specialist II

ver: 3.5.1 | last updated: